This site is now 100% read-only, and retired.

XML logo

Holy authproblems batman!
Posted by Grimnar on Mon 22 Jan 2007 at 14:04
While I was working on this I found out I had a broken courier-webadmin package. So I figured updating that package would not cause any damage. And was I wrong. No all the sudden no one can connect to my mail server. The server can recieve mail. But no one can login.

So I figured my MTA is working, but my imap/pop3 server are screwed up. IE Courier is damaged. Now I use vexim to add users and vexim comes with some changes to /etc/courier/imapd - pop3d. All been detailed at the homepage.

Now im pretty sure I done the right modifications to imapd and pop3d. But I still cannot login and get mail. What could be wrong? /var/log/mail.log

Jan 22 14:47:34 servar couriertcpd: LOGIN: ip=[::ffff:82.221.100.31], command=LOGIN
Jan 22 14:47:34 servar couriertcpd: LOGIN: ip=[::ffff:82.221.100.31], username=postmaster@spbk.no
Jan 22 14:47:34 servar couriertcpd: LOGIN: ip=[::ffff:82.221.100.31], password=somepasswd
Jan 22 14:47:34 servar courierpop3login: LOGIN FAILED, user=user@domain.net, ip=[::ffff:82.221.100.31]
/etc/courier/pop3d
IDFILE=/var/run/courier/pop3d.pid
MAXDAEMONS=40
MAXPERIP=4
#AUTHMODULES="authdaemon"
AUTHMODULES="authmysql"
AUTHMODULES_ORIG=""
DEBUG_LOGIN=2
#POP3AUTH="LOGIN CRAM-MD5 CRAM-SHA1 MD5"
POP3AUTH="md5"
POP3AUTH_ORIG="LOGIN CRAM-MD5 CRAM-SHA1"
POP3AUTH_TLS=""
POP3AUTH_TLS_ORIG="LOGIN PLAIN"
PORT=110
ADDRESS=0
TCPDOPTS="-nodnslookup -noidentlookup"
POP3DSTART=YES
MAILDIRPATH=Maildir
vexim uses mysql to authenticate users. pop3d is altered to do this. What can be wrong? I tried the vexim maillists but no response. :/

 

Comments on this Entry

Re: Holy authproblems batman!
Posted by mindmerge (70.166.xx.xx) on Tue 19 Feb 2008 at 12:50
[ View Weblogs ]
We did much the same however we merely use imapS.

We are running testing/lenny which seems to run fine. All thunderbird clients can connect, a separate webmail server can connect. Outlook 2007 can not connect, and gives poor error message.

/var/log/mail.log shows successful login through pam however client fails with it's useless error and the log on the server receives no additional information. I have used authdaemon debugging level of 3 which added no new information.

At this point I am stumped and my outlook users need to get into their email.

Does anyone know of a reason why outlook would not connect (though it looks as if it is) yet my other clients can?

Is there a feature that I have missed in the courier man pages? I thought perhaps a capability, however I did not see any new capabilities in the man pages.

Mine:
IMAP_CAPABILITY="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE"

[ Parent ]

Re: Holy authproblems batman!
Posted by mindmerge (70.166.xx.xx) on Tue 19 Feb 2008 at 13:48
[ View Weblogs ]
I decided to diff the config files with the default distributed files, here is the output. I do not generally get crazy with config edits...

I issued "diff imapd imapd.dpkg-dist":


1c1
< ##VERSION: $Id: imapd.dist.in,v 1.38 2006/02/24 02:15:07 mrsam Exp $
---
> ##VERSION: $Id: imapd.dist.in,v 1.39 2008/01/27 16:13:15 mrsam Exp $
22c22,24
< ADDRESS=127.0.0.1
---
> # ADDRESS=127.0.0.1
>
> ADDRESS=0
52c54
< MAXDAEMONS=69
---
> MAXDAEMONS=40
58c60
< MAXPERIP=25
---
> MAXPERIP=20
161c163
< #NAME: IMAP_MAILBOX_SANITY_CHECK:0
---
> ##NAME: IMAP_MAILBOX_SANITY_CHECK:0
166c168
< #IMAP_MAILBOX_SANITY_CHECK=1
---
> IMAP_MAILBOX_SANITY_CHECK=1
335c337
< IMAP_MOVE_EXPUNGE_TO_TRASH=1
---
> IMAP_MOVE_EXPUNGE_TO_TRASH=0

[ Parent ]