This site is now 100% read-only, and retired.

Question: Mozilla and Firefox Plugins?

Posted by Steve on Tue 1 Mar 2005 at 10:18

In most Debian desktop systems all the packages come from the Debian package repositories, and possibly some other non-official ones. These repositories contain everything you need, with one common exception. Plugins and extensions for browsers often have to be downloaded seperately.

At the moment I'm rebuilding my main desktop machine, mystery.my.flat.

All the packages that were on my previous desktop were backed up and restored without much effort, but I neglected to backup my mozilla profile - figuring that the bookmarks were safe as they are spread across a number of machines.

Everything is back to normal now, except for the extensions that I used with Firefox, my browser of choice.

Here's what I have installed now:

Sage
Sage is an RDF/RSS feed reader which integrates with Firefox seemlessly.
Target Alert
Target Alert is a simple extension which puts little icons next to links. For example when a link target points to a PDF file it places a little "PDF icon" next to it. Simple. Elegent. Surpisingly useful.
Flashblock
Flashblock stops flash movies and adverts from automatically loading - requiring you to click on any that you want to play. Handy for blocking animated adverts.

So here's my question: What extensions do you use for Mozilla / Firefox? And why?

Posted by davee (80.68.xx.xx) on Tue 1 Mar 2005 at 12:13
Sage and TargetAlert I both use - very useful.

I also have CTC (Context Close Tab) - allows you to right-click in the middle of a page and close its tab. http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/ctc

Also have TabBrowser Extensions: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/tbe - lots and lots of tab-related stuff. Very useful, especially if you're picky about how these work, as I am.

Web Developer: http://webdeveloper.mozdev.org/ - very useful if you're developing web pages, as its name might suggest. Allows you to selectively disable various attributes of a page and lots more besides.

Posted by Steve (82.41.xx.xx) on Wed 2 Mar 2005 at 09:35

It's often the simplest things that are the most useful, like the TargetAlert extension, and I love the idea of the context-close-tab extension.

Although after installing it I'm still trying to break myself of using the Ctrl+W keyboard shortcut!

Posted by Anonymous (81.174.xx.xx) on Tue 1 Mar 2005 at 14:49
All-In-One Gestures: Back & Close Tab quickly.
FLST: Focus Last Seleted Tab (great)
Tabbrowser Preferences of course

Posted by dirtmerchant (206.126.xx.xx) on Tue 1 Mar 2005 at 20:34
In addition to those already listed, I use

*Bookmarks Syncronizer http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/mozzarel/

*Adblock http://adblock.mozdev.org/

Posted by Steve (82.41.xx.xx) on Wed 2 Mar 2005 at 09:34

That bookmark synchroniser looks very useful - I'm currently used to storing all my bookmarks on multiple machines and they do have a habbit of getting out of sync.

I'll look forward to trying it out later on, thanks!

Posted by Anonymous (207.112.xx.xx) on Wed 2 Mar 2005 at 04:25
No extensions here. I like to reduce any load and response times in my browser... I used to run sage though.

Posted by yaarg (81.178.xx.xx) on Wed 2 Mar 2005 at 04:51
I don't do extensions but I've hacked the userChrome.css quite a bit with the aid of Firefox Help: Tips and Tricks. It's amazing how extensible Firefox is.

Posted by Steve (82.41.xx.xx) on Wed 2 Mar 2005 at 09:37

I'm very much in love with tweaking Firefox!

One of the things I do first of all is set it up so that I dont' see alert boxes for errors with hostnames.

That's one of my biggest irritations with most browser, and something that I think Internet Explorer did right - I'd much rather see a page telling me the hostname doesn't exist than have to dismiss a dialogbox.

Posted by Anonymous (62.255.xx.xx) on Sat 5 Mar 2005 at 14:06
Got any hints for this, Steve? It's one of my bugbears, too!

Cheers,
Jonathan

Posted by Anonymous (62.255.xx.xx) on Sat 5 Mar 2005 at 14:09
Don't worry - I've now actually RTFA on mozilla.org :-)

Cheers!
Jonathan

Posted by Anonymous (194.72.xx.xx) on Wed 2 Mar 2005 at 09:30
here i use adblock / tweak network / weather fox (tells the weather) / FLST (almost as good as opera with tabs) and flagfox (displays country flag beside weather). Flashblock sounds intereting, ill give that a shot thanks. sno

Posted by Anonymous (24.93.xx.xx) on Thu 3 Mar 2005 at 01:41
Hmm all kinds of extensions,

I use Firefox exclusively, on linux (at home)

FoxyTunes (control any media player from Firefox)
Image Zoom (I like to zoom)
foxyliscious (So you can usr your del.icio.us bookmarks)
del.icio.us (social bookmarks)

I've also messed around with chrome stuff a bit...

I also have messed with bookmark sync.

Posted by Anonymous (195.56.xx.xx) on Thu 3 Mar 2005 at 22:05
A goodish way of keeping bookmarks in sync is to place them under revision control with e.g. subversion.

I find the "disable targets for downloads" extension useful - it prevents the browser from opening a blank tab when you open something in a new tab that later turns out to be a file to be downloaded.

Gcache is immensely useful - if the page you were about to view is inaccessible, you can pull it out of google cache via the context menu.

GooglePreview is nice, it adds a preview image of each google hit to the results page. Not necessarily useful, but cool. :)

Andras

Posted by glanz (216.209.xx.xx) on Sat 5 Mar 2005 at 12:02
I find the DICT extension quite useful. It give the definition of highlighted words via right-click using the dict protocol in its own little window rather than referring or connecting to another site via a new browser window.

It commes in handie whenn poastink to foreuhms like dis.(^>

Posted by Anonymous (81.178.xx.xx) on Sun 6 Mar 2005 at 05:00
Come to think of it, is there a sensible way to clear the location bar in firefox before you paste a URL? That's something that really bugs me! Copy and attempt to paste but end up copying again. ARGH.

I know middle click paste any where in the window should work but I'm having problems at the moment. Firefox keeps wanting to scroll on middle click instead of paste (even though I have the right options in about:config)...

Posted by Steve (82.41.xx.xx) on Sun 6 Mar 2005 at 13:07

Agh yes, that's a real irritation.

Many times I've selected an URL then gone to paste it into the address bar, and realised I needed to clear it first.

If it's still pasted you can use "Ctrl +L" to select it then "Del" to delete it, but it's a pain.

I usually just click in the tab bar at that point and close the tab later.

Posted by Anonymous (150.216.xx.xx) on Wed 9 Mar 2005 at 15:13

Altho that is a major bug, I think that I am even more annoyed when I want to copy a URI from FireFox: I select the location bar, the URI is automatically highlighted, and I intuitively assume that it is then the primary selection.

Too many X programs fail to comply with the standard. Too many people have trouble with this simple concept, or just think that they can do better. JWZ has an excellent page on the subject at <http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html>

Posted by Arthur (68.100.xx.xx) on Thu 28 Apr 2005 at 06:53

I'm sorry that it's so long after the fact that I'm responding -- I just got here. To workaround the middle click/paste anywhere irritant, just middle click to get the scroller started, then move the mouse off of the scroller and middle-click again.

Posted by Anonymous (213.47.xx.xx) on Thu 5 May 2005 at 17:58
I use mozilla diggler (deb package "mozilla-diggle") or http://diggler.mozdev.org/ .

It adds a small menu button left from the location bar. Hitting the button clears the location bar.

Posted by eric (194.2.xx.xx) on Tue 15 Mar 2005 at 14:49
On Mozilla (Application Suite... RIP ;-(, I mainly use :
- enigmail : a gnupg plugin to encrypt mails... (I must admit I don't use it everytime !)
- a spellchecker to use in mail/news redaction
- calendar :a... calendar to track (sometimes) my activities (job mainly)

On Firefox, I use :
- WebDeveloper a great extension to work on html/xhtml/css websites
- UserAgentSwitcher to try to 'mislead' some intranet websites designed to work with IE.

Posted by kamaraju (128.253.xx.xx) on Wed 4 May 2005 at 00:47
My favourite extension is sessionsaver. It restores the previous session when firefox is newly opened. It can be found at

Now, I just cannot live without it. For weather forecast, I use ForecastFox 0.7.1 . It is also very nice. ForecastFox 0.7.1 can be found at

https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?applica tion=firefox&id=398

Posted by bhappy (80.80.xx.xx) on Thu 5 May 2005 at 10:57
i had a lot of different plugins. but finaly i deleted almost all of them exept SessionSaver, SwitchProxy, OpenBook and Conkeror. i don't use conkeror a lot, just try it for fun.