This site is now 100% read-only, and retired.

Struggling to implement PCI compliance

Posted by lloyd on Fri 14 Mar 2008 at 11:00

I'm striving to comply with PCI standards, but I'm running into a wall - due mostly to confusing, out-of-date, contradictory, and-or incomplete documentation. Or maybe just my own dense mentality. Does anybody have any guidance help me walk through the security thickets of setting up my Debian-based web store?

BACKGROUND

I'm setting up a small web store on a remote VPS to supplement my Social Security. The software stack is:

• Debian etch kernel 2.6.18
  • Apache2.0.54
  • MySQL 4.1.11
  • PHP 4.4.6-0a
  • Viart Enterprise (latest version) web store

Credit cards are run through SSL; orders are confirmed via e-mail. I use SSH for remote administration. I've disabled (I hope) all unnecessary services and moved the SSH port to a high address. I've scanned the system with a commercial vulnerability scan service (ScanAlert) -- turns up old version of PHP as only vulnerability (which, presumably Debian security patches address.)

PCI Compliance

PCI compliance requires, among other things:

• server firewall
  • rigorous password policy
  • intrusion detection

I've spent several weeks now studying netfilter/iptables, PAM, Snort, and Tripwire documentation. In each case I run into "gotchas" that bring me up short.

For instances, one authoritative doc says:

"CONFIG_NETFILTER - This option is required if you're going to use your computer as a firewall or gateway to the Internet. In other words, this is most definitely required for anything in this tutorial to work at all."

QUESTION: But how do I determine if the CONFIG_NETFILTER option is set? If not, how do I set it? Do I really have to recompile the kernel to set it? If necessary, how do I recompile the kernel on a remote VPS without risking everything configured so far?

Further on I'm told that I need to install a script to make sure that my firewall rules survive a reboot. I can find examples of firewall scripts, more of less understand what they're doing, but with less confidence that I can morph them to my needs.

QUESTION: But where do I install my firewall script? How do I test it?

I think I almost grasp the PAM docs. Just not sure which modules I need to satisfy PCI.

QUESTION: So many choice, so little guidance on which to choose when. Which PAM modules do I need?

Snort seems fairly straight forward until I need to interpret the output. Haven't delved too far into this yet. But looks scary.

QUESTION: What do I need to know to decode the arcana?

And Tripwire-- Looks terrific except... Should have installed it very first thing upon bringing my VPS on-line. It's been on-line for awhile now.

QUESTION: Is it too late now to install Tripwire? If so, what can I do short of tearing everything down and reinstalling?

In short, I've read the docs and will continue to do so. But I'm stuck.

Where can I turn; who can help me cut through the documentation cruft to an understanding of what I need to know to implement these basic security provisions?

Many thanks,
Lloyd

Posted by Anonymous (82.227.xx.xx) on Fri 14 Mar 2008 at 11:14
I can help you with testing for CONFIG_NETFILTER :

grep CONFIG_NETFILTER=y /boot/config-$(uname -r)

If the above command returns 'CONFIG_NETFILTER=y', you're all set.

Posted by Steve (80.68.xx.xx) on Fri 14 Mar 2008 at 11:40

Simpler than that; if you can add a new firewall rule you know it is enabled!

Posted by Steve (80.68.xx.xx) on Fri 14 Mar 2008 at 11:51

You ask lots of good questions, and I'm sure you'll receive some useful comments here.

With regards to CONFIG_NETFILTER I'm certain that will be enabled, so I'll ignore that. For getting a firewall to survive reboot we did have some previous discussion on the topic.

Personally I create a shell script in the directory /etc/network/if-up.d/ - every executable file in that directory will be executed after the network interface(s) have been brought up.

So I have a simple firewall there:

#!/bin/sh

# clear existing rules
iptables --flush
iptables --delete-chain

# Set default policies for all three default chains
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT DROP

# Enable free use of loopback interfaces
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

# now allowing incoming http, ssh, and stmp
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -s 0.0.0.0/0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -m state --state NEW -s 0.0.0.0/0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state NEW -s 0.0.0.0/0 -j ACCEPT

# and now outgoing: dns + smtp
iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Running this will setup rules, testing it is a matter of trying to connect remotely when you should/shouldn't be able to and seeing if it succeeds. (A tip: When working with a firewall for the first time add a cron-job to clear all your rules every 30 minutes - that way if you get locked out you're not lost!

Regarding tripwire it is later than ideal, but if you're certain you're not already compromised you may add it.

Pam configuration? We've talked about it before - honestly? I don't see what you need to mess with it for here.

Posted by rubasov (84.3.xx.xx) on Fri 14 Mar 2008 at 17:00
Just my two cents on dealing with remote firewalls (to avoid lockouts):

Suppose you have your Debian init.d-style firewall script named /etc/init.d/pf. You are sure (== tested another way) that calling it with the argument 'stop' works in any circumstances.

Then create a file containing the following lines:
remote-pf.sh:
#! /bin/bash
/etc/init.d/pf "$1"
ANSWER=''
echo 'If you are _able_ to answer y, it will be safe to do that.'
echo -n 'Keep the current firewall rules (press 'y' or wait for timeout)? '
read -t5 ANSWER
if [ -z "$ANSWER" ]
then
  /etc/init.d/pf stop
fi
You can call this script:
bash remote-pf.sh start, or
bash remote-pf.sh restart

It will apply the new firewall rules, then asks you whether to keep it. If you answer 'y', then we're done with the new config, but if you answer 'n', or you cannot answer in five seconds, then it will revert the settings to a known, clean state.

[ Parent ]

Why apply firewall AFTER bringing up interface?
Posted by Anonymous (82.227.xx.xx) on Sat 22 Mar 2008 at 23:05
Something I've always wondered about: if the filtering rules are applied after the interface is brought up, doesn't that leave a (very short) window of time during which no filtering is applied? Is there any reason not to apply the filtering rules _before_ bringing up the interface? (It seems to work.)

Anon :-)

[ Parent ]

Re: Why apply firewall AFTER bringing up interface?
Posted by Steve (82.32.xx.xx) on Sat 22 Mar 2008 at 23:14

If you're like me then you might have an exception which says something like:

• Allow all connections from foo.bar.com.

If you run that rule before networking is brought up then DNS resolution will fail .. So I accept the small risk to avoid having to use IPs not DNS.

(Again relying on DNS to be correct is also a hole, but I think it is a small risk.)

[ Parent ]

Re: Why apply firewall AFTER bringing up interface?
Posted by Anonymous (82.227.xx.xx) on Sun 23 Mar 2008 at 01:09
Good point. My little script does indeed use IP numbers rather than domain names.

But: is DNS resolution needed before a packet arrives? Presumably no packets can arrive until the interfaces have been brought up. I don't know whether iptables resolves the name at rule intialisation or whenever a packet arrives. If it only resolves the domain name when the rule is initialised, then presumably it will fail if the IP number later changes, cancelling one of the reasons to use a name instead of an IP number in the first place.

I remember being discouraged from using names instead of IP numbers by the following section of man iptables:

-s, --source [!] address[/mask]
Source specification. Address can be either a network name, a host-
name (please note that specifying any name to be resolved with a
remote query such as DNS is a really bad idea), a network IP address
(with /mask), or a plain IP address. [more...]

[ Parent ]

Re: Why apply firewall AFTER bringing up interface?
Posted by Anonymous (125.254.xx.xx) on Thu 17 Apr 2008 at 08:13
I'm fairly sure that the DNS resolution is done before the netfilter rule is installed. So bringing up the firewall before DNS is available would probably not work.
Cheers,
Jonesy

Posted by stevenothing (85.158.xx.xx) on Fri 14 Mar 2008 at 11:58
When I've done this in the past, I've used a dedicated machine for the website, and another dedicated machine for the firewall (and ideally, separate one for the DB, IPs, etc., but that's not always practical).

For persistent firewall rules, I really like shorewall. I've also found it much easier to read configs than raw iptables scripts (even well written ones), and maintaining your firewall is at least as important as the initial configuration.

For password policy, we wound up using kerberos, because the company we were dealing with had some quite convoluted rules regarding password re-use and expiry, which we couldn't easily do with pam. If you just want to expire passwords regularly, you can do this with shadow. Make sure root's password doesn't expire, or your cron jobs will stop working.

IDS is a tricky one. Tripwire is a bit of a pain to install, and update, and tweak. It encrypts its database too, which is nice. Does get frustrating typing your passphrase in every time you want to update it, though. It's recommended that you keep your databases off-server, or in hardcopy, but that's not something I've ever done. Also don't get too enthusiastic when telling it what to monitor - this quickly becomes a pain and you'll just wind up ignoring your "file has changed" emails, which makes the whole system useless. I'd stick to something minimal, like binary directories. The default install, last time I did it on Debian, tried to monitor /dev, so you'd get alerts about /dev/pty/'s having changed.

It's not impossible to install tripwire on an existing system. You'll just have a bit more work to do ensuring that all of the files it is including in its database are real, and they should be there. debsums can help a little, here.

Aide is also worth considering. It doesn't (or at least didn't last time I checked) do the database encryption that tripwire does, making it easier for an intruder to hide his steps if you don't have offsite copies of your database), but I found it much easier to work with.

For network intrusion detection, snort is the best choice. The main problems with it are that you need to get decent baselines so that you can tell it what to ignore. It will then proceed to send you so many emails that you'll ignore them anyway. Using snort with a MySQL backend, and something like ACID can help make it a bit more manageable.

If you're doing this for someone else, it's worth trying to find out of they have a security person, or can appoint someone, to check snort/tripwire emails. This way it becomes someone else's problem.

mod-security for apache can be useful too, especially if you're only running a single application, which you control, and don't need to worry about angry messages from users complaining that someone couldn't post "wget%20" to their php forum. I usually tell it not to block anything, and just rely on its audit log to help track down the buggy bit of code that's let some malicious user on to a server.

Because of the vagueness of the PCI definition, a lot of the work is simply documentation and trying to prove that you've met the requirements. If this is an important project then it's worth getting an external auditing company in to take a look, as they'll be able to tell you exactly what to do. Beware of companies that will just give you a Nessus-generated PDF and charge you a few thousand for the privilege.

Posted by Anonymous (67.88.xx.xx) on Mon 17 Mar 2008 at 17:48
This is about exactly what I was going to say.

Shorewall - Really great and the latest version are always better.

Nmap - Pound on your system make sure everything is set right.

Snort - Good if you can get it going

Aide - I am much happier with aide than I was with tripwire. Tripwire and AIDE both take continued support. Each update your system runs you have to update the database. But it's imperative not to put the database on the server or somebody could just mess up your system and then update the DB. The easiest way to do this (you need physical access) is use a floppy disk on read only tab or a CDRW (as long as the server does not have a burner). The floppy disk is great because you just do an update on your computer, umount the floppy, flip the tab, mount the floppy and copy the db over, umount, flip the tab back to RO, remount and your back in business. Doing this method, only with physical access can they compromise the DB.

Also, if I remember correctly a lot of it has to do with written policy, as in a company policy to change passwords every 3 months etc.

Posted by mbl (87.96.xx.xx) on Fri 14 Mar 2008 at 19:54
On http://www.debian.org/security/crossreferences you can look up the CVE numbers that ScanAlert hopefully referred to.

And I have to agree with a few of the others: Install a proper firewall, like Shorewall for example. SOOOOO much simpler to understand and maintain than Netfilter low level stuff.

Good luck!
/MBL

Posted by Anonymous (82.13.xx.xx) on Tue 18 Mar 2008 at 21:54
Hi,

I am currently developing a PCI compliant, middleware and back-end tiers (including repository) for a major currency exchange company. In order to comply with PCI rulings, here in the UK, the following business (and PCI) rules have been applied:

. No Credit Card Numbers or CV2 Numbers are stored, ever!
. The BINS, length and last 4 characters of the CC Number are stored.
. Single transactions including CC Number and CV2 are encrypted and transmitted, to the clearers, using https 443
. CC Numbers and CV2 numbers are not to be stored on site in any form, either on paper or elecronically. i.e. email or database

Follow these rules and you can't go wrong and even if you have a security breach as you can't 'leak' what you don't have.

Regards
Nick Adie
Consultant Developer

Posted by Anonymous (80.68.xx.xx) on Thu 27 Mar 2008 at 21:00
Have to agree to this, I am running the PCI compliance program for a large UK retailer and the first rule of PCI is 'if you don't need to store it, don't'

So I would first ask do you *really* need to store the card number? Once you have authorization and settlement for the transaction from your card aquirer do you really need to keep the data?

Posted by endecotp (86.6.xx.xx) on Wed 19 Mar 2008 at 15:00
I thought that PCI was a bus standard. The PCI website that you linked to does a great job of not explaining what they think PCI actually stands for....

My few limited attempts at e-commerce have always used a third-party payment processor, so the card numbers and other sensitive data doesn't pass through my server at all (e.g. worldpay, paypal). You might consider this if making your own server sufficiently secure is too much work.

My first attempt used the "guarddog" program. This is a nice GUI that lets you set up the rules. Eventually I got around to learning how to do it manually; this was mainly based on reading the iptables man page. I wrote a script, which is only about 50 lines, and put it in /etc/rc.firewall; this is called from /etc/init.d/firewall. I think this setup is based on how guarddog did it.

> QUESTION: But how do I determine if the CONFIG_NETFILTER option is set?

It probably is set; if it's not you'll get an error later.

> QUESTION: But where do I install my firewall script?

I've described how mine is done above. It doesn't really matter.

> How do I test it?

By trying to connect to ports that you have blocked, and seeing if you get in.

I hesitate to say this, but those questions are rather basic. Securing credit-card numbers is important. Maybe you should get some more experience of practical security on a less-critical system first?

Posted by Anonymous (67.88.xx.xx) on Wed 19 Mar 2008 at 17:05
"I normally take the word "firewall" to mean "hardware firewall", unless they explicitly say that a software firewall is acceptable. Would other people agree with me? If a software firewall is acceptable, here's what I've done on my web server:"

By hardware I am assuming you mean appliance firewall. No I do not take it to mean that. There really is no difference and I would say an appliance firewall can even be more of a risk than software in a Debian box. Everybody updates their Debian box, that can't be said about your Cisco and Linksys firmware you have not touched in years. Also, a good number of the appliance firewalls are nothing more than low end Linux boxes running netfilter/iptables.

Firewalls are a good way to make people feel better but really are not that magical. If you have a hole in apache, your firewall is worthless. If you have a bunch of stuff running that you only want to allow certain access to then they suddenly become very useful.

Posted by endecotp (86.6.xx.xx) on Wed 19 Mar 2008 at 17:37
> By hardware I am assuming you mean appliance firewall.

I just mean a box, of any sort, with two network interfaces that filters traffic between them, and is probably dedicated to just this task.

I think I agree with your comments about updates and magic; but I still guess that when something like PCI says "firewall", they may well not include software running on the same machine as the services being protected.

Posted by Anonymous (71.184.xx.xx) on Mon 24 Mar 2008 at 20:35
Thanks all for your terrific information.

Lloyd

Posted by Anonymous (64.126.xx.xx) on Wed 2 Apr 2008 at 04:18
As far as IDS, I've found ossec to be very easy to use and set up, though I've never used it in a commercial setting. Ossec also has a web interface to allow easy monitoring and the ability to act as an IPS if you wish.

Posted by jhutchins (64.126.xx.xx) on Mon 22 Sep 2008 at 17:54
Hope you've made some progress on this since March. We're just getting started on PCI compliance, but an excellent document on securing a server/network in general: http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/TrinityOS/cHTML/Trinit yOS-c.html
That will answer questions such as building firewall scripts.

Posted by Anonymous (70.20.xx.xx) on Thu 25 Sep 2008 at 17:57
Many thanks for the post and terrific link to Trinity OS.

But... I'm sad to say that I've thrown in the towel. I did reach the point where my site passed the scan test. But everything involved was just too much hassle for a small operation like mine. So I've dropped on-site processing in favor of PayPal and Google Checkout. Thanks again, LRP

S

So

Posted by Anonymous (70.20.xx.xx) on Thu 25 Sep 2008 at 18:10
More...

My CC processing was handled through Leaders. It has taken me more than three months, two phone calls, two faxes, and a visit to my bank to block their monthly payment requests to get them to cancel my account -- at $38.00. I would never use them again. Still not sure that I'm off their books. Thanks again. LRP

Posted by Anonymous (122.169.xx.xx) on Thu 25 Sep 2008 at 06:26
PCI compliance also dictates encryption of critical data. Normal MySQL level encryption functions or products like pci-general can help you here. You can also go for disk level encryption.