Do you use let's encrypt?

5848 votes ~ 21 comments

Disabling the print-screen key inside X?

Posted by tong on Sun 15 Jan 2006 at 16:45

The "print screen" key is next to the BS key on my keyboard. Every time when I miss the BS key by hitting the "print screen" key, a screen snapshot is printed from my (InkJet) printer.

This has been so annoying that I decided to solve it. I'm using fluxbox, but I didn't find any such action in its hot-key def file (/etc/X11/fluxbox/keys), or in my theme file. Is such feature defined in X?

How can I disable the "print screen" key from printing to my printer?

Re: Disabling the print-screen key inside X?
Posted by Kellen (85.178.xx.xx) on Sun 15 Jan 2006 at 17:40
I have not done this myself, but you could try using xmodmap:

Re: Disabling the print-screen key inside X?
Posted by spiney (128.131.xx.xx) on Sun 15 Jan 2006 at 20:21
Try
xmodmap -e 'keysym Print = BackSpace'
which should map your Print Screen key to work as additional BackSpace key.
Debian GNU/Linux on an IBM Thinkpad T43p

Re: Disabling the print-screen key inside X?
Posted by Anonymous (66.44.xx.xx) on Mon 16 Jan 2006 at 12:29
You can disable the key all together by commenting it out in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/keycodes

Print screen should be <prsc> = 111; Just put // in front of it and restart X.

Re: Disabling the print-screen key inside X?
Posted by suspended user tong (69.156.xx.xx) on Mon 16 Jan 2006 at 16:19
Thanks a lot. I've been asking this question in many places, this is the first timme that I get answers. They are even in different approaches. I love this site and I love you guys. thanks!

tong

Posted by Anonymous (84.161.xx.xx) on Tue 14 Feb 2006 at 05:45
Well, other sites are full of "Linux-experts" who have once managed to almost get a LiveCD to run.

Re: Disabling the print-screen key inside X?
Posted by ajt (84.12.xx.xx) on Mon 16 Jan 2006 at 18:40
For me it's the "Caps Locks" key that I always want disabling.

Someone on my LUG suggested:

Edit your .xmodmaprc file with:

xmodmap -e 'remove Lock = Caps_Lock'

or in your keyboard config of your xorg.conf file

Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"

"It's Not Magic, It's Work"
Adam

Re: Disabling the print-screen key inside X?
Posted by Anonymous (213.216.xx.xx) on Mon 16 Jan 2006 at 19:45
Xkb has options for this. For example, my xorg.conf has, in the keyboard InputDevice section:
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps,compose:menu"

This should remove caps-lock (there is another option for switching places, "switchcaps"?) and also makes the useless menu key a compose. I use the windows-logo keys for controlling wm functions.

Re: Disabling the print-screen key inside X?
Posted by Anonymous (213.216.xx.xx) on Mon 16 Jan 2006 at 19:48
I wonder what on earth has such a binding?

Re: Disabling the print-screen key inside X?
Posted by Anonymous (158.193.xx.xx) on Tue 17 Jan 2006 at 15:34
well, one option not mentioned above is to disconnect your printer... :)